Venus Williams wins in return

I hope this is the year of redemption for Venus and Serena. They deserve to be respected for their powerful play.

Venus Williams won in her first singles match since August, dispatching Kimiko Date-Krumm 6-0, 6-3 at the Sony Ericsson Open on Wednesday.

She beamed wide, raised her arms in victory, then skipped to the net to shake's Date-Krumm's hand before twirling around and pumping her arms in a celebration worthy of winning the title, not just a first match.

But other than playing a meaningless doubles match during the United States' Fed Cup first round victory over Belarus in early February, she hadn't played an official match since the U.S. Open first round.

The 31-year-old Williams withdrew from her second round match against Sabine Lisicki at the U.S. Open after announcing she was diagnosed with the fatigue-causing, auto-immune disease known as Sjogren's Syndrome.

"I mean, just to be in this tournament is a huge win for me. Just to be here is a win," Williams said. "You know, that's what I told myself going in, that this is a win. I have nothing to lose. Just, you know, to gain. Just to get back at this level is a win for me."

Read more at source

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...