Grandmaster Maurice Ashley in D.C. to promote chess for children

My husband starting our son how to play chess when he was three years old. I thought it was too young, but my son caught on to it. He knows the name of the pieces and how to line them up. Which of course, is more than I know how to do. I am truly excited about this.

A good chess match can be hard to find for an international grandmaster, so Maurice Ashley has spent most of his career growing his own competition.

Since becoming the first African American to win the elite title in 1999, the Jamaican-born New Yorker has traveled the country to promote the game of kings as a game for children.

He came to Washington this week to square off against 30 young chess players simultaneously on 30 chessboards in an exhibition organized by the District-based U.S. Chess Center.

Read more at source

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...