John Lewis DNC Speech Democratic National Convention [VIDEO]

Lewis, who was one of the original Freedom Riders, recounted how he was beaten in 1961 for trying to enter a whites-only waiting room, and how he and fellow rider Albert Bigelow declined to press charges against the perpetrators.
"We said our struggle was not against individuals, but against unjust laws and customs. Our goal was true freedom for every American," Lewis recalled.
After Barack Obama was elected president, the Georgia congressman said, one of the men, Elwin Wilson, was inspired to come forward.
"He came to my office in Washington and said, 'I am one of the people who beat you. I want to apologize. Will you forgive me?' I said, 'I accept your apology.' He started crying. He gave me a hug. I hugged him back, and we both started crying. This man and I don't want to go back; we want to move forward," said Lewis.


0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...