Oprah Flooded with Requests to Put Cancelled ABC Soaps on OWN [VIDEO]

Oprah Winfrey had to take to her YouTube page yesterday to tell folks she cannot be Captain Save-a-Soap.  Once ABC announced that its long-running soap operas “All My Children” and “One Life to Live” would be cancelled, fans of the shows began bombarding the talk show queen with requests for her to air them on OWN.  Winfrey made a video explaining why she just can’t.  “I understand what it feels like to have a show you love off the air, I appreciate that you all think I could save the soaps,” says Oprah. “But here is the bone marrow truth. The soaps have been an institution in broadcast history and television because they had the support of the audience.”

Winfrey then lays out the unfortunate ratings statistics.  “Believe me, if there was a dime left to be made from them on broadcast television it would still be happening,” she continued. “I will not be taking on the responsibility of trying to revive an institution that for all intent and all purpose indicates that that time has come for it to be over. So thank you for believing I could save them. But I really can’t.”  “All My Children” has been on the air since 1970, and “One Life to Live” debuted in 1968. Both were given the ax last week.



0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...