Is natural hair finally accepted in Corporate America?


Do you recall India Arie and Akon's song, "I am not my hair," here are a few of the lyrics from the opening stanza:

[Akon]
See I can kinda recall
Little ways back small tryin' to bawl
Always been black and my hair I tried it all
I even went flat, had a gumdee curly top and all the crap, now
Tryin' to be appreciated
Nappy headed brothers never had no ladies
Then I hit by the barber shop real quick
Had em give me little twist and it drove them crazy
And then I couldn't get no job
No corporate wouldn't hire no dreadlocks
Then I thought about my dogs on the block
Kinda understand why they chose a stealin' rock
Was it the hair that got me this far? (uh-huh)
All these girls these cribs these cars (uh-huh)
Hate to say it but it seem so flawed
Cause success didn't come 'till i cut it all off (uh-huh)
....

I remember this song like it was yesterday. I recall that when the album  dropped in 2006, "Testimony: Vol 1, Life & Relationship," this particular track brought back the memories of how challenging it was for many of my colleagues - with degrees - to find employment, if they had natural hair.

The song made me reflect on my experience as graduate student.  It was the fall of 2003 when I started locking my hair.  I was enrolled in the college of enginering at the University of Colorado in Colorado Springs - studying for a master's degree in Computer Science.  I remember how the Tech Sector was having challenges hiring and retaining engineers because of a technology bubble that began to reduce the number of jobs across the industry. 

Specifically, I recall the added challenges many African Americans men were experiencing if they had natural hair.  Now, this is not to say this was the sole reason, but the perception of many of my colleagues felt,  as if back then, companies had very low tolerance for minorities with natural hair styles.

Well, as we fast-forward the clock almost a decade later, has anything changed?    Do you think companies have more tolerance for natural hair - especially for African American men.  Has it been somewhat tolerated over the years for women - braids, short hair, etc.?

Here is an interesting article the provide some perspective.  What you see here may surprise you!
Check out the story here: Madame Noir

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...