Racist, Insensitive or just plain Stupid?

As I was watching the Missouri/Arizona State football game last night, something caught my eye. In the stands, there were several students in 'black face'. I thought I was seeing things, so I paused the TV, hit the rewind button and looked again. It is safe to say, I was not seeing things. It was late, my husband was asleep. I doubt if any of my friends were still up. I had to sit and ponder this all alone.

Since last night, I have found out that the school wanted the fans to dress up in all black to show strength against their opponent. Interesting that in this instance, black signifies strength. I have also found out, that there was discussions on campus by certain groups as to whether it should be the entire body or just the face.  There were also some discussions  from some students that they did not care how the media would play it, they were only showing team spirit. To show support for their new all black uniforms. Once again, knowing the historical context of 'black face', what was it? Some argued that it is no different than painting faces/bodies orange,or blue, or maroon, or any other school color.  My response to that argument is: HISTORY.  So are those students racist for wearing 'black face' or was it a racist act? Are they extremely insensitive? They do live in Arizona. Or was it just plain stupid??

Knowing the background of what 'black face' means historically, I am struggling with what to call it. I will say, maybe they are not racist, they just did something that could be perceived as racist. However, it was definitely insensitive and extremely STUPID!!!

What do you think?

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...